School Administrator's Clip File • November 4, 2020
A positive attitude increases learning
Researchers believe that teachers can maximize student learning capacities by nurturing positive attitudes in all subject areas. This is especially important now as students struggle with the new normal of learning. Encourage teachers to:
- Share their passion for the subjects they teach.
- Instill the belief in students that they can master any and every subject.
- Provide meaningful feedback with a focus on what students did right.
Six ways to strengthen family involvement
There are six distinct ways to strengthen your family involvement program—and each one can help you engage with families and communities to boost student success.
- Volunteering. Promote participation by offering parents and community members a variety of virtual ways to support your school.
- Parenting. Share parenting tips to help parents create a stable home environment for their children.
- Communicating. Consistently send home information about student learning and school events.
- Learning at home. Share strategies to help parents reinforce learning at home and provide support.
- Decision-making. Include parents in school decisions and give them leadership roles.
- Collaborating with the community. Strengthen your family programs by identifying and integrating resources from the community.
Did you know?
“Research repeatedly correlates family engagement with student achievement, yet this strategy is rarely activated as an integral part of school reform efforts. A 10% increase in parental participation (a form of social capital) would increase academic achievement far more than a 10% increase in school spending.”