School Administrator's Clip File • October 28, 2020
Use social media to boost family engagement
Improve family engagement by using the same social media parents are already using! Create a Facebook page or Twitter account for your school. Then post or tweet:
- Ways parents can support student learning.
- Photos from in-person or virtual classrooms.
- Invitations, updates and reminders about school events.
- Positive news about students and school staff.
- Volunteer opportunities for students and/or parents.
- Short updates from school meetings.
Encourage parents to do these five things!
Studies have shown that parents of successful student have several things in common They:
- Give their children household chores—which promotes students’ responsibility.
- Teach their children social skills—which helps students get along with others.
- Set high expectations for their children—which motivates students to do their best.
- Develop relationships with their children—which builds students’ self-esteem.
- Focus on their children’s effort instead of their abilities—which strengthens students’ resilience.
Did you know?
According to EdWeek Research Center’s monthly coronavirus survey, student absences have doubled during the pandemic.